Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Come One, Come All, To The Kwanzaa Hut

My 15-year-old son made the reserve squad of his high school baseball team. So at least twice a week and sometimes more I am hauling him and his gear three miles out of town to a classmate's house where they practice in the quonset hut nestled near the practice field this particular boy's dad just happened to build on their land.

1) I would love to be able to build my kids a baseball field. I don't think I can, since I'd have to appropriate parts of at least 4 neighbor's yards and remove their fences.

2) I'm really not sure it's a quonset hut. It might be a pole building. Rural folks oughta know the difference, and if pressed I'd say it's a pole building.

But, quonset hut is fun to say. More fun than pole building.

And I've saying it a lot, but apparently not quite clearly.

From the back seat of the car, I hear Christopher ask: "When are we picking up Jeffery at the Kwanzaa Hut?"

I love the idea of a Kwanzaa Hut. A large building where people would gather for fellowship. Maybe there would be food. A good time would be had by all.

And we now have a new entry in our family vocabulary. Kwanzaa Hut.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I love those familyisms.

Sweatie is one of my personal favorites. My cousin once said "sweatie" instead of "sweetie" in an e-mail about his girlfriend a good ten years ago; word got out, and, well, it's still funny.