Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cushings Disease Creates a Cushiony Dog

Four years ago we rescued our dog Shiloh from the pound. He was clearly part Beagle (and part garbage disposal -- although that part wasn't so obvious at the pound.)
In those four years he has more than doubled his weight.
I blamed myself.
What is wrong with me, I lamented. Not only do I make myself fat -- I clearly am leading this dog down the obesity path.
BUT, the vet has made me feel better.
"You don't see many 80 pound beagles," he said to me.
OK -- THAT didn't make me feel better.
But then he said Shiloh's symptoms and aggressiveness about food and seeming ability to never be full and willingness to eat used kleenexes and Q-Tips (yes -- it's gross) leads him to believe Shiloh suffers from Cushing's Disease. He thinks.
In order to confirm, I'd have to pay for a $200 test and then $30 to $40 a month for meds the rest of his life.
Note to my husband: If your health deteriorates to the point where you need this amount of money spent on your upkeep, well, let's just say don't count on me, big boy.
Anyway, the vet said I could help Shiloh without the test or meds. Watch his food intake. Feed him diet dog food. Help him get as much exercise as he can tolerate.
And discard the used kleenexes in a safe place.

No comments: